Private Gig/SD '98

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri May 22 14:17:26 EDT 1998

Doug said...

>Strange Daze 98 is August 13-16 in Ohio so if you (or anybody)
>were to fly into Cleveland you'd be a couple hours from the Festival.

Well, it's really the 14th-16th, as I don't think the campground is supposed
to be ours for Thursday night, unless I'm mistaken.

Also, it shouldn't take more than an hour to drive to Nelson Ledges from
Cleveland, unless you get lost or putter along so as to enjoy the sights and
smells (it's in the heart of Amish country).  :)  Or if you're coming from
the western suburbs.

>It would then be a matter of getting a lift both ways, I think there
>are several list members from the area that may help. I would be
>willing to let several people camp with me, I have a six person
>tent with two occupants so far. I may be able to help with transport
>back and forth from Cleveland also.

If people get into a real pinch, I might be able to help some.  I'm in
Columbus (about 2.5 - 3 hours away), so I doubt if anyone will choose to fly
into here (although I hear it's comparatively cheap to fly in and out of
Columbus, so perhaps those wanting to reduce airfare could come here, and
carpool with me/us.  Jerry Kranitz and the quarkspace fellows are here also,
of course, so there may be a small caravan of sorts.)

On the subject of tents...again, if someone's in a real pinch, let me know,
and I could possibly help out.  I only have my own personal two-man, but I
happen to work in a research group where tents are essential items, and lots
of them!  They're very high quality mountaineering tents, but they are also
often damaged significantly by high winds, crampons, ice axes, vomiting,
etc.  So, in fact, we have a few that have seen their better days, and I
don't think my advisor would mind much if I'd 'borrow' them for a weekend.
Plus, he might be in Peru at the time (with the better ones no doubt), so I
could then sneak away with them unbeknownst.  Just note that they tend to
'smell' a bit...you don't notice the smell while on the ice since it's so
damn cold, but in a warm, humid environment, they're a bit odoriferous, esp.
the vomitoriums.  :)

On another note...I've decided to undertake my own personal effort to
advertise SD'98 as much as I possibly can.  Especially now since it's moved
so close to my backyard.

I've just started to look into what it might cost to put ads in various
publications (the Ohio State newspaper, local free entertainment guides,
e.g., The Other Paper here, and Scene Magazine in Cleveland), but am waiting
for responses before I decide whether I want to forget that avenue, foot the
bill myself, or ask Jim for some of it (or perhaps a free ticket as
compensation).  Anyway, I've almost finished making up an advert, based on
the *.jpg on Jim's page.  His is very nice, but is in colour and too
complicated to reduce and come out nice in B&W.  So, I created my own using
the same information, but with simpler graphics.  I think it's pretty decent.

So even if I decide it's too expensive to fund my own small print ad
campaign, I'm definitely going to make up a slew of flyers to post around
town, in record shops, etc.  And then send them out to radio stations and
anywhere else I can think of.  I'll do this in person here in Columbus, and
perhaps in Pittsburgh as well (since my brother lives there, and I go there
quite often).  But if anyone in Cleveland wants to help out, I'd gladly send
you the flyers (or e-mail you the graphic) for you to put them up.
(Suggested places would be...My Generation, Digital Daze (still there?),
Time Traveller, Chris' Warped Records, venues like Peabody's, Agora, Odeon,
other places in the flats).  Also, anyone in Detroit, Buffalo, Youngstown,
Akron, Erie, Canton-Massillon here???  Same goes for those places.

You may send me personal e-mail (Henderson.120 at osu.edu) if you'd like to
help, and/or get a copy of my ad.  Just let me know what city you're in, as
I have a travel time listed for different cities, and will need to know
which one to send.  You'll also have to tell me what sort of image file
you'd like.  I created it in (PC) Corel Draw, but could make a *.gif, *.eps,
etc. from it.

Keith H. (FAA)