OFF: GODZILLA REVIEW

Jean Lansford lansford at VNET.NET
Tue May 26 10:24:21 EDT 1998

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Nick English <nick at THECAMPUS.COM> wrote:

>I'm by far not the most P.C. dude out there, but this movie also
>takes a serious stab at the French. I don't mind a little ethnic
>humor if it's done tastefully and perhaps a little affectionately,
>but that wasn't the case here. In this flick it was just sloppy and
>stereotypical.

Hmm.  I took much of it as stabs at the plastic, prepackaged American
culture.

At least the French were shown as taking responsibility for their
actions.

I have to say that Jean Reno, playing the only consistently competent
character in the movie, was a treat.  About the only thing that kept
me from walking out of the theater thinking "What a complete waste."

>The entire middle section of the film has our heroes running around
>Madison Square Garden trying to avoid being gored by a horde of
>nine-foot-tall baby Godzillas (read: Raptors).

Someone want to explain why the horde didn't turn cannibal if they
were still that hungry?  For that matter, isn't it rare for a lizard
to be protective of its nest?

And how many vertebrates are capable of reproducing asexually?

>If you loved the 'Jurassic Park' movies, you might find a little
>something here that's to your liking. But even that is stretching
>things a bit.

Nah, it followed the Godzilla formula too well.  A tedious first half
to three-quarters of the movie (with an occasional interesting minute
here or there), followed by the monster stomping everything in sight.

Jean Lansford
lansford at vnet.net
http://users.vnet.net/lansford/