HW: Private gig

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed May 27 05:49:39 EDT 1998

David Greenhalgh writes:

> > If it's going to have to be a convention doesn't that mean a 2 dayer
> > and therefore organising accomodation? I do have friends who've
> > organised SF conventions in hotels and would be able to help.  The
> > question is would we rather do a camping festival?

> For my part, yes, or at least a hotel somewhere in the country with a
> camp site nearby.  If we have to start adding the cost of a couple of
> nights hotel accommodation we a starting to arrive at big bills.  A
> hotel big enough to put on a convention, even if it's only a token
> one, is not going to be cheap.  I'm not sure how open to the idea of
> rock concerts that sort of hotel would be either!

> Oh dear, that doesn't sound very positive, sorry!!

Well Seacon booked Hawkwind in Brighton in 1984(?). One way forward
would be just to run a weekend SF convention with SF oriented bands on
the Friday and Saturday and a programme stream covering Hawkwind.
Alternatively hook up with an established SF con and see if we can run
our own Hawkwind stream at that. The advantage would be that we'd also
be able to invite SF authors.

> Dave

FoFP