OFF: GODZILLA REVIEW

Daniel Ligon makmorn at QIS.NET
Wed May 27 20:42:17 EDT 1998

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 12:33:18PM -0600, Matthew Braun said:
> Jean Lansford <lansford at VNET.NET> writes:
> [that Nick English wrote]
> >>I'm by far not the most P.C. dude out there, but this movie also
> >>takes a serious stab at the French.
> >Hmm.  I took much of it as stabs at the plastic, prepackaged American
> >culture. At least the French were shown as taking responsibility for their
> >actions.
> I agree.  Yeah, the Frenchmen are shown as fussy about the food and coffee,
> but they're shown as clever and very competant operators--in fact, the most
> competant in the film.

I thought the food scenes were pretty humorous myself, especially the
way they made the cup of the "bad American coffee" look like it was
from Starbucks.

> Most folks I know complained about the US armed services being painted with
> a gigantic Stupid Brush--everything from "There wouldn't be a colonel
> running that operation", to "Heat-seeking missles?  Why not fly-by-wire or
> radar-guided or...  They just wanted an excuse to blow up buildings, I guess."

We have a 500 ton critter doing over 80 mph, and it's not throwing off
any heat?  Right.  Godzilla should need to jump in the river just to
cool off.

And nobody can find Godzilla, despite the fact that he's radioactive?
Doesn't the Army own any Geiger counters?

Daniel Ligon                              makmorn at qis.net

We are in the hands of infinite power and infinite sadism.
  -- _Inferno_