Subject: Re: OFF: GODZILLA REVIEW

Matthew Braun mbraun at URBANA.CSS.MOT.COM
Thu May 28 12:36:26 EDT 1998

Nick English <nick at THECAMPUS.COM> writes:
>I still say they did a hack job on the French. The coffee scenes made
>them look pretty prissy and sissy if you ask me. And the absolute
>stupidity of them chewing gum to 'look more American',
Sorry, dude, that's a jape at the Americans, not the French.  The French
agents looked like they lost 2 digits' worth of IQ points when they started
chewing that gum.  They fit right in w/the Americans.  :-)

>and of Jean Reno not being able to do an American accent unless he's aping
>Elvis.
Maybe the idea that he could acquire a passable American accent from Elvis
movies was to be so absurd that it was funny.  (Now if they'd said Jerry
Lewis Movies, that'd be insulting the French.  But Elvis?  That's funny.)

>Add to this the fact that very few people die in
>this film, and most of them are the French Secret Service dudes.
That's not true--the US lost a whole submarine crew, countless helicopter
crewmen.  The French Secret Service lost maybe 6 guys in the attack on the
eggs.

>Given how poorly the rest of this movie was written, I could believe
>that all this stuff was meant as innocent comic relief, not intended
>to detract from the French characters.
I tend to think it was.

>But apparently, Devlin and Emmerich have little or no ability to write a
>logical, competent script.
And in Hollywood, this may in fact be a boon instead of a handicap. :-)

                                        m@