HW/OFF: CMJ festival in NYC

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Nov 4 19:29:31 EST 1998

Hi Folks...

Now that the list is back up...  :)

I know I've already mentioned this once before, but anyone who is in the NYC
area, or is going to be there this weekend (starting tomorrow actually) for
the CMJ (College Music Journal?) music marathon, might want to check out
these bands in particular.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about (and I didn't until just a
week or two ago), the CMJ music marathon is a city-wide (meaning most of the
main rock clubs participate) showcase for hundreds of bands from around the
world to perform for both the public and any industry representatives.
Individuals can buy passes that allow them into any show they wish, or pay
whatever cover is required at each show individually.  (I *think* that's the
way it works anyway.)

You can see the list of bands playing at www.cmj.com (look for the Music
Marathon '98 icon), but (as of Monday) they didn't give individual
performance times.

But here are three recommendations I can give to any Hawkwind or psych/space
fan who's looking for a cool band to see this weekend.

Thursday, Nov. 5 (tomorrow!) at 11 pm.
  7% Solution at Knitting Factory
Friday, Nov. 6 at ??
  Walk on Water at Continental Club
Saturday, Nov. 7 at 11 pm.
  Asteroid #4 at Baby Jupiter

I like all three of these bands quite a lot (particularly Walk on Water),
and have seen/met two of the three in person.  7% Solution (from Texas) I
would say is more like UK-style thick dreamy psych/space, kind of like the
Verve's first album.  Walk on Water is seriously energetic and loud psyche
rock, towards Monster Magnet territory, but not quite so angry....ie.,
aggressive, yet cosmic and melodic.  I love this band. If you see them, say
hello to anyone in the band (they're cool people) and tell them I 'sent'
you.  Asteroid #4 has a laid-back effects-heavy dual guitar sound with some
eastern influences, and is totally retro 60s psych in appearance.  Nice if
you like that sort of thing.

Well, I'd really like to be in town to see all three of these acts, but
can't really swing it.  According to the on-line list, there are a few
others there that might be of some interest to listmembers...

Nebula - the spinoff group from Fu Manchu (extremely similar to the parent
band, maybe  a little better even)

Asha Vida - a band from Detroit that I see called 'Space Rock', but I
suspect it might  be more like 'Space Rock Lite' (the CD I ordered hasn't
arrived yet)

Komeda - a Swedish synth-pop group with a female vocalist, but one that
doesn't make you violently ill like Ace of Base...the music is actually kind
of interesting, and seemingly based on Neu! or Can style rhythms.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea where or when this weekend these three bands
will be performing.

Keith H. (FAA)