BOC: Bad Metallica - Cover

brian halligan brianh at PULLEYN.COM
Mon Nov 9 13:10:12 EST 1998

Ghost in the Ruins said:
>Never a big Metallica fan, I was hoping against hope that Astronomy would
be
>the one they played first on the radio.  After hearing what they did to
Turn
>the Page I don't think I want to hear their rendition of Astronomy.  Would
>be real offended if they butchered it as bad as Turn the Page.

Master of Puppets is an excellent album.  Beyond the tune Enter Sandman I
can take them or leave them.  I thought they did a good job with Turn the
Page.  Bob Seger isn't one of my favorites though, so that has something to
do with my opinion of the cover.  I have to say I like the sax on Gerry
Rafferty's Baker Street better than Turn the Page ;-)

>Where's the emotion?  Where's the content?  This one is as bad as Puff
Daddy's Kashmir
>rip-off.

I think Metallica had guts to cover Turn the Page, although I always thought
they could do a good job with an Eric-sung BOC tune....  Imagine Kings X
covering "Reminiscing" by Little River Band ;-) Turn the Page isn't a good
fit for Metallica, but it's only a stop-gap album (their 2nd in a row) until
their next studio effort, so I don't take it too seriously.  Now, Crash
Course in Brain Surgery...that was a cover that Metallica could get their
arms around!

Brian
obCD> The Bevis Frond "New River Head" (Great album Paul!)

Brian Halligan
mailto:brianh at pulleyn.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~halligan/wicker.html

"We are drawing a moustache on the wanted poster of the face of music."
-Fierce Wicker