OFF: Silver Apples

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Nov 10 15:35:25 EST 1998

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:57:34 -0500, Keith Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
reported:

>I have just seen some tragic news about Silver Apples.  To me, the info
>seemed truthful as opposed to some internet hoax.

The news is, unfortunately, quite true ...

>To be honest, I haven't
>heard this band, though with some increased discussion lately on various
>lists, have started to look seriously at their albums in the bins...I just
>don't know which to start with.

Silver Apples [New York], who took their name from a work by experiemtal
composer Morton Subotnick ("Silver Apples of the Moon"), were one of the
very first rock bands to experiment with integrating synthesized and
electronic sounds (see also: United States of America [L.A.], 50 Foot Hose
[San Francisco], Mandrake Memorial [New York]) into their music.  They were
a duo consisting of drummer Dan Taylor, and Simeon, who played banjo and
Simeon (a home-made electronic contraption named after its inventor that
consisted of numerous audio generators and filters that could be controlled
with knees, elbows, feet, etc. as well as hands).  Their two 60s albums,
'Silver Apples' and 'Contact', although out of fashion for many years
(allegedly in the 70s, they could be found by the dozen in the cut-out
bins), have recently become holy grails for collectors of
psych/space/electronic/experimental music, going for $25+ from psych
dealers at record fairs.  I'd highly recommend both albums (which have been
reissued on CD, both legitimately and not) to the (Del Dettmar-lovin')
Hawkwind fans on the list, especially those also into (70s New York band)
Suicide, who were heavily influenced by the Silver Apples.  Owing to the
renewed interest in the band, Simeon recently began recording and
performing again (including at the recent Terrastock fest in San
Francisco).  And even more recently, he hooked up with original drummer Dan
Taylor, who has just begun playing again after a 25-year hiatus spent
mostly working for the phone company.  There are a couple of newer Silver
Apples recordings out now, which while good, are not as highly recommended
as their original two albums.

>Anyway, there apparently was a serious traffic accident that has left one of
>the band members (Simeon I believe is his name) paralyzed, at least
>temporarily.  In any case, his musical career is apparently finished, as
>walking again is now his main focus.Sorry to darken your day.

Like I said, this news was passed to me by people close to the band, and is
unquestionably true.  If you had the chance to see the band during their
brief reunion, you can consider yourself very fortunate.  At least the
albums are still available for the less-fortunate among us.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com