HW:Lord of the Hornets

Patrick Cordiner s328171 at STUDENT.UQ.EDU.AU
Wed Nov 11 03:20:49 EST 1998

Andreas Stuewe wrote
on Wednesday, November 11, 1998 4:52 AM

> Well, Moorcock dedicated his book _An Alien Heat_ in 1972 to Hawkwind.
And
> Turner, Brock,Calvert, DikMik, Dettmar & Ollis were guests on that Peace
> conference held in _The English Assassin_ also in 1972. I also recall
that in
> some other Moorcock book there´s a scene about the Mountain Grill in
Portobello
> Road, also with some Hawklords appearing. Does anyone know about this? Or
did I
> dream it?
> I´m also a victim of Moorcock. I started reading in 1977 with the
_Runestaff_
> series and all his other stuff from than on, and I have read in a
foreword of one
> of those books that he´s written stuff for HW. That got me into buying
_Sonic
> Attack_ in 1982, which wasn´t at all the kind of music I listened to at
that
> time, and ... I was never ever quite the same since.
>
> Andreas

Well, of course there is New Worlds 5 (the Sphere Books compilation) which
features one of Robert Calvert's poems `Ode to a time flower.' But for the
full connection between Calvert and Moorcock, them living together,
virtually wife-swapping etc. I'll leave for Max Wilcox to elaborate on (or
not).

I didn't realise so many people done the HW-Moorcock-BOC(or not) psychic
connection. Attempting an explanation I'd say that Moorcock does such
bloody excellent stories, and in the case of Jerry is heavily music and
drug influenced, therefore any fan of his books will naturally try and find
out all the things and sideprojects he has done. With Hawkwind...well
virtually the same, try and find out where the hell they get such excellent
lyrics and song concepts, naturally leads eventually to Moorcock.

Or not.

-Patrick<s328171 at student.uq.edu.au>