OFF: frrrrrrrrrrripp! and stuff

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Wed Nov 11 18:51:51 EST 1998

J. Scruton wrote:

> At 02:29 PM 11/11/98 GMT, you wrote:
>
> >Is Toyah Wilcox still Fripp's wife? Or someone else is now?
>
> Toyah Wilcox is still Fripp's wife.
>
> Random fun filled comments:
>
> Listening to King Crimson's Nightwatch CD, I find I'm disappointed by it as
> a whole. However, it does give a good place for Wetton's bass playing and
> D.Cross to shine.  One week to go till soundscaping.woohoo! Ought to be
> interesting, having never seen Fripp in any form previously.
>
> I wonder how the King Biscuit BOC CD is doing... wasnt it supposed to be
> out sometime around the Gold AoF ?  Yeah, BOC needs its own version of 1999
> Party or Space Ritual-- a 2 CD lavish blowout of coolnes and sinister
> imagery. Could be the first set of discs packaged in black leather
> emblazoned with a blood red "Cronos" logo. hehehehe

To my knowledge the BOC King Biscuit is slated for sometime in the beginning of
next year, so I guess it's still going to be released, I think it will probably be
only one CD though, it's supposed to be a recording from '86 in Santa Monica
California, the one with "Wings of Mercury" on it. What they really need is a Live
album from this year, something with a bit of the HF material.

> If the revamping of the first 2 BOC CDs is actually going to be done, I
> hope that the liner notes are copious with good stuff (couresy Bolle's
> vaults or Bucks maybe? like the Who remastered version of "Live at Leeds"
> yet another live LP thats good, but sounds too spread apart drumwise.

I think they will be, Mobile Fidelity did a great job with Agents of Fortune, and
from the other Gold albums I have seen from other groups, it seems that they do
really good work.

> I can't beleive they left out that COOL photo of the band in the liner to T&M.
> That photo defines the visual imagery of the band moreso than any other I
> think.  Look at that puppy, they're all wearing black (sans Buck) They were
> America's version of sinister... not to mention how surly A.Lanier looks.

Ya know, I don't have, nor have ever seen, the LP for T&M. And I can't recall
seeing that picture, is it pasted somewhere? Do you have it on file, would you be
able to send it to me?

> The verdict: OYFoOYK is the best live release availible.  Yay impartial
> judgement.  THAT should be redone-- put the full color inner photo of the
> band and that book on the back where it belongs. I wonder where that tome
> went to?
> (Space Ritual could be tied for first place, granted I havent heard it yet)

Columbia did really sloppy work transferring there albums to CD's, not only was
the art work neglected, but in some cases the audio quality suffered as well. What
they did for the back of the OYFoOYK, was unforgivable garbage. Though there is a
picture in the Mirrors LP, of the band clad in leather holding flashlights, that
of coarse never made it onto disk, but I never really liked that picture any ways.
OYFoOYK should definitely be remastered and repackaged, I have heard a lot of
people, not necessarily Cultophiles either, refer to that album as one of the
definitive live albums of all time.

> Other really odd noting:  I was looking at a webpage (forgot the address)
> titled "Whiplash! Blue Oyster Cult" that was in Spanish, but at the end the
> discography lists the "on the ground or in my mouth" (Whatever that title
> is for the EP) and Live (1994) anyone know what that might be?   Maybe its
> a mistaken name or Cult CLassic...but then again I forgot when that was
> released.

That's odd, there's no live show from '94 on disk, though Cult Classic was
released in '94 but it wasn't a live album. I never heard anything about that,
sure you can't remember the URL ;-). The EP your referring to was "In My Mouth Or
On The Ground", I guess it was also available in blue vinyl.

> Quick question: How much better was the redone AoF soundwise? I was not
> around for that set of conversations.

Quick answer: A bit ;-).

The dynamics are definitely better, I don't  know much about why sound quality is
better on Gold discs than standard ones, I do know they cost more ;-). If you
listen to Agents quite a bit, it's definitely worth buying though.

> I wonder if KBFH accepts fan reccommendations for its live release
> output... I mean think about it -- theyve done Renaissance, 10 cc, Triumph.
>  Surely BOC has more pull marketwise than them.  The smart thing for them
> to do (Do they have a web page?) is post all the bands they haves shows of
> and offer people to vote on the artists periodically. (Imagine the server
> frying when all of BOCL swamps it with BOC/Hawkwind--(did they ever do a
> KBFH? I doubt it)).
>
> I'd kill for the Fillmore poster that had SWU on it,
>
> Jason

> "It is only beginning with me that the earth knows great politics."
>         -F.Nietzsche, _Ecce Homo_

 For Web Addresses, here's the KBFH site, and the Mobile Fidelity Site.

 http://www.king-biscuit.com/

 http://www.mofi.com/

Laj.