OFF: frrrrrrrrrrripp! and stuff

Laj Waldner erebus7 at DLCWEST.COM
Fri Nov 13 04:07:42 EST 1998

Paul Mather wrote:

> => I think they will be, Mobile Fidelity did a great job with Agents of Fortune, and
> => from the other Gold albums I have seen from other groups, it seems that they do
> => really good work.
>
> Yes, they do.  If nothing else, those lift-lock CD cases are to die for! :-)

it definitely ad's to the general coolness of the whole album.

> => > Quick question: How much better was the redone AoF soundwise? I was not
> => > around for that set of conversations.
> =>
> => Quick answer: A bit ;-).
> =>
> => The dynamics are definitely better, I don't  know much about why sound quality is
> => better on Gold discs than standard ones, I do know they cost more ;-). If you
> => listen to Agents quite a bit, it's definitely worth buying though.
>
> Although, for pragmatic reasons, the "gold discs sound better" is
> essentially bogus, the actual reason MoFi releases sound better is
> painfully simple: they take due care with remastering their releases!
> This means, amongst other things, that they seek out original master
> tapes (not Nth generation safety masters), don't reprocess the shit out
> of it, etc.  The result is a great transfer, with an eye on sound
> quality at all times.
>
> They press using a gold substrate to justify the higher release cost, I
> reckon, i.e., to make Joe Public thing he's getting something tangible
> for his extra bucks.  (Which, in fact, he is: better sound quality!)
>
> =>  For Web Addresses, here's the KBFH site, and the Mobile Fidelity Site.
> =>
> =>  http://www.king-biscuit.com/
> =>
> =>  http://www.mofi.com/
>
> And don't forget DCC Compact Classics (http://www.DCCcompact.com/), who
> may be even more A.R. than MoFi when it comes to high-quality
> remastering!  Their _Aqualung_ ist sehr gut.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.
>
> obCD: Shakti, _Shakti, with John McLaughlin_
>
> e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
>
> "I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
>         --- James Marshall Hendrix

I didn't know that about gold disks, I always thought the Gold actually helped the
dynamics, just another misinformed consumer it seems ;-). But they do look damn
impressive being gold, coupled with the lift lock mechanism and the liner notes, makes a
pretty impressive package visually.

Laj.