BOC: Oysterboys vs. Canadian Trio's

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Fri Nov 13 12:18:20 EST 1998

I would disagree however that BOC had more market pull
> than Triumph.  BOC served as an opening act to Triumph on quite a few
> occassions.

Nick>Nah. That was the 80s...BOC were on their way out, while Triumph
were up-and-comers. Now it's the 90s, and both bands are struggling
to let rock fans know they still exist (DOES Triumph still exist?).
But when you shake it all down, career vs. career, I'm sure there's a
hell of a lot more people who can name you a BOC tune than a Triumph
tune. At least in the "lower 48".

You are probably right as most of the dates that I am familiar with are 80's
tours, but I disagree on the naming tunes part  Can somneone start a poll?
;-)  For the record Triumph does and does not exist.  Rik Emmet
(guitarist/vocalist) left the band after the album Surveilance.  I won't go
into the details of the breakup but it was extremely unfriendly.  Gil Moore
(drums) and Mike Levine (Bass) along with a Canadian guitarist named Phil X
did the last Triumph Album, Edge of Excess.  It was a bomb of the stinkiest
magnitude.  Its got a few rockers like Trouble Maker (part of the Hellrasier
III soundtrack) but for all intents and purposes was not a Triumph album.
Gone was Rik's melodious falsesetto vocals, lovely accoustic guitar
interludes and generally awesome axe-manship.  A very one sided album,
striaght forward 80's rock.

To this day Rik enjoys a solo career a shade below BOC.  They play the same
venues (Jaxx for example).  Rik has at least five solo albums Absolutely
which is the most Triumph like, Spiral Notebook and Ipso Facto (both with
strong pop tendancies) The Ten Mistresses of Mr. E (?) a collection of
accoustic guitar songs and Swing Shift an album where he explores all types
of music as seen through the six stings of a guitar.  Gil and Mike?  These
guys are hanging around Canada holding on to the glory days.  They have
teased Triumph fans for the last few years about a new Triumph album and a
tour in the works.  Anyone who kinda liked this band and would be interested
in a reunion tour I got a couple of words for ya "forget about it".  Things
are extremely bad between Rik and Gil, don't think a reunion could ever
happen.

Sorry if I strayed off topic but I really love Triumph music.  Rik is an
amazing guitarist and like Buck has gotten better with age.  Tommy Shaw and
Jack Blades mad a strong pitch for Rik as lead guitarist for Damn Yankees
before settling on Ted Nugent.  I would LOVE to see Rik and Buck work
together even if it were one song.  Strange thing, there is a small Triumph
mailing list and just about everbody on it agreed, if Rik were to do
something with another guitarist Buck would be the best fit.  Lots of BOC
fans on that list.

Funny mentioning the boot of BOC when they opened for Rush, just reminded me
of yet another band that initially carried BOC's equipment, only to turn the
tables a few years later.

Offthoughts - I too believe that the Lost Boys was a superior Vampire movie.
On the other end of the spectrum is the sad excuse for a George Clooney
vehicle called "From Dusk 'til Dawn".  Frank Langella's portrayal of Dracula
was very good though the movie itself subpar.

Ghost in the Ruins...
"I drop a bomb in the temple of your dreams." - Monster Magnet