BOC: Random thoughts post

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Mon Nov 16 10:41:31 EST 1998

>BOC opened for Triumph?  Where was this, in Toronto?  I'm from the
northeast, not far from Canada, and Triumph only played in this area
once, around 1980 I'd say, and it was in a small theatre.

Heheheeh thats your choice to live as far away from civilization as you can
possibly get.  I'm no tour guru and don't track such things however there
are such people on the Triumph list and yes, on more than one occassion BOC
opened for Triumph.

> BOC, OTOH, played here throughout the 70s and 80s--all the time, and
consistently played big arenas, usually selling them out.  Maybe in
some parts of the country Triumph was a big deal, but not up here.

Agreed but how many bands were truly national/international?  In those days
maybe Aerosmith and Kiss but certainly BOC could sell out selective arenas
and not draw 10 people to others.  I believe Triumph was huge in the
midwestern part of the US.  They were probably bigger here than in Maple
Leaf land.

>BTW, I kind of liked Triumph [at least Ric's guitar playing] but
somebody's smoking something really great if they ever though Triumph
were a bigger group than BOC.  Maybe after Al left BOC?  That's a
possibility...

Well I have fooled around with five leaves and occassionally an old tennis
shoe (don't knock it till youy try it) but the "facts is da facts" in a
manner of speaking.  How do you want to rank this?  Number of records
(entire catalog) sold?  Number of gold or Platiniums?  Number of years
headlinging large arenas?  Anyone know if this type of information is
on-line.

Here's the bet Theo let make it total sales.  If I'm right you give me an
autographed guitar from your collection.  If you right I send you a pound of
old tennis shoes scraps for your bong. 8>)

<About Damn Yankees>

>Wow!  What were those guys smoking?  One lick, no brains, no voice
Ted [Nugent, not Jackson!] vs. Intelligent, decent vocalist,
extraordinary guitarist Rik--and they could have made a fortune on
the exchange rate paying him in US dollars!  What kind of a choice
was that?

Hmmm re-read what I wrote, and thought the phrase "settling on Ted Nugent"
would have made this clear.  Tommy and Jack didn't decide to take Ted over
Rik, Rik turned them down.  He didn't want to do it.

>I would LOVE to see Rik and Buck work together even if it were one song.

>Well neither of those guys need another guitar player in their band.
I doubt they'd work very well together.  Also, stylistically, they're
worlds apart.  Rik specializes in anthemic, stadium rock/pop tunes
with admitedly jaw-dropping tasteful acoustic tunes dropped in there
now and again, while Buck is--well, Buck.  No knocking Rik, who I
believe is also a virtuoso, it's just apples and oranges...

I wasn't thinking of them starting a band together or Rik joining BOC.  Nope
more like sit in a room, check out each others styles and do some
collaborating.  Granted you play guitar and I don't but I think the opposite
styles is exactly why this would work.  Both are virtuosos and both have
enough confidence in their abilities that they could reasonably compare
notes and play some songs.  As for Rik and his arena band leaning I'd advise
you to dig deep into some of Triumphs music, Rik played far more than that.
Two striking examples Blinding Light Show/Moonchild.  Rik brought this
record to the group from his previous band.  Check out how progressive that
was back in 72-74.  Also take a good hard listen to Thunder Seven.  Yeah he
did a lot of Arena rock and pop, but Triumph did a fair amount of "band
writing".  One reason why he lost the lawsuit initaited by his former
bandmates and no longer has rights to a fair amount of songs he was
intrumental in writing.

FDTD - Here's why I thought this one sucked.

1. A QT horror movie?  Don't work.  Resovior Dogs, Jackie Brown and Pulp
Fiction are as good as its gonna get for QT.  He's no Spielberg.

2. Formulaic.  Ever since Die Hard people have been cramping action movies
into tighter and tighter spaces.  Call it Action Movie in a box syndrome.
The only way they can try and improve themselves is higher body count.

3.  Did this thing even have a credible story line?

4. George Clooney, George Clooney George Clooney.  When Nicole Kidman can
out act you...well nuff said on that.

Ghost in the Ruins
OBCD Endangered Speicies - Y&T (Think Earthshaker/Black Tiger/Meanstrerak
era Y&T)