OFF: Tarantino

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Nov 16 12:54:24 EST 1998

> From:          Goran Janicijevic <simplius at SOFTHOME.NET>
>

> Tarantino is overrated, but it's shown with latter movies, not with FDTD
> (BTW, it's his pal's Rodriguez movie). Anyway, his idea of cutting edge
> isn't 70's references, but to make exhilarating scenes when there is
> whole lotta nasty bloodshed.

That's funny...There isn't one drop of blood anywhere in Jackie
Brown, and what little bloodshed that occurs in his other 2 flicks is
mainly IMPLIED.  Indeed he IS using a filmic device from the old
days, i.e. making the audience imagine the violence, something that
today's filmmakers lack the talent to achieve.  Not that I consider
FDTD some kind of grand filmmaking, and, as you noted, he only wrote
the screenplay.  Where QT IS exhilirating, is in his ability to draw
great performances out of otherwise lesser actors, and in his ability
to construct excellent dialogue.  The guy can write a true
screenplay, a real script, where almost nobody else can nowadays.
Notable exceptions being the Cohen brothers, and precious few
others...

theo