OFF: Man - Welsh Convention

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Mon Nov 16 17:18:32 EST 1998

In full blown bitter & twisted mode, but still able to contribute ;-{P>

At 10:33 16/11/98 -0000, Andy wrote:

>Next was a treat - the first gig for 22 years of Martin Ace and the Flying
>Aces, featuring Martin's wife (George?).  Pure nostalgia, but not half bad
>either.

Yes, it's George.

>Next up, Alkatraz.  I think this was their first show for a bloody long
>time, too, but it didn't show - they were very good indeed.  Didn't a couple
>of these guys used to be in Man?  A similar sound to 70's Man, whatever,
>received very enthusiastically.

Alkatraz was founded by Will Youatt, bass player from the "Back In to The
Future" incarnation of the band.  I don't think any of the other (original)
members were Man alumni, although I think there were connections into the
"Family Jungle".  We could do with having Pete Frame resurrecting and
enlarging upon his "Rhinos, Winos, Lunatic, Playboys Bums & Me" family tree
that he did for ZigZag!

>And at last, Man.  What can I say that hasn't been said?  As befits a band
>on their thirtieth anniversary, they're almost telepathically together,
>their long rambling jams have been honed into precise compositions of real
>beauty.  No surprises in the setlist, but hey.  Jones' son joined for the
>first encore (Jones: "Cheeky bugger!"  Jones junior:  "Short arse, short
>arse!"), and looked as if he knew what he was about.  The current line-up's
>got a few years left in 'em, but the future of the Man band is assured!

I swear I'm jinxed this year - everything worth seeing since June has
clashed with my fatherly responsibilities!  I'm glad it was a good'un
(BASTARDS!)

ChrisW

Free your mind & watch your ass!