BOC: OYFOOYK mention

J. Scruton js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Thu Nov 19 16:35:59 EST 1998

At 04:00 PM 11/19/98 EST, you wrote:
>Robert Fripp once quoted this paragraph from a review of the King Crimson
live
>album U.S.A.  Steve Lake in Melody Maker in 1975:
>-------
>
>U.S.A. simply reworks old material into more immediately assimilable stuff,
>and what once seemed thoughtful and carefully realized here seems simply
>retailored for the downer freak.  King Crimson was never exactly lightweight
>or happy-go-lucky, but their apocalyptic doominess has seldom been so
>stultifyingly apparent as it is here.  By comparison, Blue Oyster Cult's live
>album "On Your Feet Or On Your Knees" almost comes across as a Fine Arts
>Statement.

Pardon me while I stifle the milk coming out my nose. That's a rather odd
description of USA since I never felt it was that doomy. But its glad to
see that to this reviewer BOC could equal the attitudinal whomp of King
Crimson in the band's early hey days. After all, Albert's commonly caleld
the first 3 BOC's Inferno..I guess OYFoOYK is the black cloud of death that
billows up from the hellfire :) heh. And OYF is fine art int he American
tradition- it blasts rafters, screams blue murder through amplified guitar
and drums and manages to know how to be quiet and subdued too (LDoM).  But
nothing on the earth compares to the ear frying that ME 262 produces. Fer
me, that THE live standard of a show closer.  USA, is like a statement of a
band thats dying but is really wound up about it and at the same time
doesn't care. After all, it was released posthumously.

Itching to see RoterMethod  and Bouchardians,
Jason

PS: Be afraid. ? and the Mysterians have a legit 2 LP live set.

ObCDs:SpaceGroove, A Blessing of Tears