OFF: Dancing Across the Water

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Thu Oct 1 00:23:37 EDT 1998

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, BREVARD, Adrian R. wrote:

=> >obCD-R: Gov't Mule, _Dancing Across the Water_
=>
=>   >  Eh?  Was ist?
=>
=> I'd imagine this is a boot tape that Paul recently converted to CD-R
=> format or perhaps a compilation he put together for himself.

Along the right lines.  I think I mentioned this CD-R on here before.
It is one made by someone on the Gov't Mule list (and so I can't claim
credit for it, alas:), and consists of several cover tunes the Mule have
done live during the Spring of 98.  The centrepiece is a great version
of Neill Young's "Cortez the Killer" (from whence is derived the title).
The sound quality is great, and the mastering is excellent (with
seamless cross-fades between tracks, and banter placed in the pre-gap,
etc.).  (Ironically, this makes the disc harder to duplicate; I almost
managed to do so with CDRWin, but the damn thing bombed out near the end
of the burn with a "SCSI bus reset detected" error which left me with a
coaster.  Anyone managed to get the CDRWin demo to work under NT 4.0???)

Of course, this is not a boot, since the Mule sanction taping, and I
didn't buy it (I got it for B&P), so it's all entirely legit and above
board.  Great value, I'd say!

I'm looking forward to my Mule Trane #10 DATs soon... :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: The Bevis Frond, _Superseeder_

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix