OFF: Scand Psych

Scott Heller shll at HAGEDORN.DK
Thu Oct 1 07:21:11 EDT 1998

Hej,

I will try to help out now that I am living in this part of the world:

Akasha (????, Norway)
Algarnas Tradgard (Goteborg???, Sweden) I am pretty sure this is correct.
They played a gig not too long ago..

Circle (Pori, Finland)
Dark Sun (???, Finland) Helsinki
darXtar (Korgsberga, Sweden)
Holy River Family Band (???, Sweden) Two from Stockholm, one from Lovanger!
Jukon Speakers (???, Sweden)  Only know sweden, but maybe Umea
Kingston Wall (Helsinki???, Finland)  Helsinki
Landberk (Malmo???, Sweden)
The Moor (Falkoping???, Sweden)  Correct
Optical Blue (???, Sweden)
Pseudo Sun (Jarfalla, Sweden)  Outskirts of Stockholm, this town is..
Simon Says (Falkoping???, Sweden)
The Spacious Mind (Lovanger???, Sweden)  Correct..
The Word of Life (???, Sweden)  Sweden

Any more??  Doesn't Norge have any recent space/psych groups??

Yes, the Smell of Incense (southern norway), Tangle Edge (Narvik) and there
is another, King Midas (60's psych)..

Here are some other artists that I'm familiar with (their names at least,
not necessarily the music), but my feeling is that they're mostly 'too prog'
to be included.  Feel free to disagree....my perception of those I don't
know firsthand may be wrong.

Anglagard
Anekdoten (Cool swedish King crimson idols..)
5:15 (great band from Helsinki)
Flower Kings
Bo Hanssen
Jonas Hellborg
Hoyry Kone (Finish far out band )
Bob Hund
Isuldur's Bane
Kaipa
T. Kriget
Par Lindh
SMM

White Willow

There are three bands that I remember from the (very) dim, dark, distant
past (70-73)with Scandinavian connections: Burnin' Red Ivanhoe, Wigwam &
Tasavallan Presidentii (sp?).  There's the inevitable problem with
"classification" & whether they are "prog" or "psych" or "fusion", but BRI
(Denmark, I think) are a cert (IMHO), their freak credentials enhanced by
having recorded for John Peel's "Dandelion" label.  I actually  have a copy
of their (2nd?) album "W.W.W." (I think that mighht have had a CD re-issue
recently).

Yes, BRI are from Denmark. They played a gig last Saturday. They have three
of the original members still.

Wigwam may be too far on the prog/fusion side of the equation,
but may be worth checking out - can't remember where they were from, but
I'm pretty sure they were mostly Scandinavians with 1 or 2 North Americans
in the band. TP were definitely from Finland, and I think were pretty
spacy, recorded at least two albums (for RCA, I think) one called "Milky
Way Moses" which I nearly bought recently in a second-hand shop in Hull but
decided it was on the wrong side of the price/condition equation.

Yes, both of these bands are from Finland. Wigwam was more a blues rock
thing to start with. TP, I am not that familiar with as I have only heard a
couple of songs.

We have a great psych band in denmark called On Trial who are like a cross
between monster magnet and Roky Erikson   They have a limited edition 10 "
coming out on Delerium in Novbember and a full CD in Feb.

Also, there is a cool band called Mantric Muse, who are a mostly
instrumental band influenced by the Ozric Tentacles but have a bit more
Prog sound and not as rich a synth sound to them. Great band  though..

Scott

ObCS- Korai Orom

R. Scott Heller PhD
Hagedorn Research Institute