Way Off Subject

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Thu Oct 8 23:56:45 EDT 1998

Jill admits:

=> Hoo boy - am I really getting out of touch with the world these days!
=> Wot on earth is a beanie baby?

Maybe not so out of touch, as this may only be a crazy American
phenomenon.  Anyway, they are little stuffed bean-bag toys.  The catch
with them is that, for some reason, they became incredibly kollectible,
and, when then manufacturer, Ty, latched onto this, they fanned the
flames by deliberately "retiring" certain models (all of which have
cutesy names), thereby limiting their availability and driving up the
prices.  And the prices can get real crazy---from tens, to hundreds, to,
yes, even *thousands* of dollars each (assuming you haven't let yer kid
play with it and taken off the label:).  Apparently, there are zillions
of Beanie Baby collector/fan sites on the Internet.

I read in my local newspaper recently, though, that the market may have
peaked, and that their value may be about to crash, soon.

=> However it sounds just like the kind of thing Toys R Us ought to stock.

I dunno about Toys R Us; it seems like Antique Malls are a better bet. ;-)
Of course, the little blighters pulled McDonalds' arse out of the fire,
when they started giving them away free as promotions...

In this instance, Jill, I'd say ignorance is bliss. ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: The Bevis Frond, _Sprawl_

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"Besides, doesn't he wear the hallowed strip;
 The same one that you pay way over the odds for,
 And doubtless will again next season.
 Do you know how much those shirts cost to make?
 Three quid, tops, probably way less..."
        --- The Bevis Frond, "The Pips," _North Circular_