OFF: Kurupt & Monster Magnet

christmu at EUNET.NO christmu at EUNET.NO
Mon Oct 12 10:27:15 EDT 1998

>From the MTV news page..... 10/8/98
-------

Kurupt Discusses His Hopes For A Monster Magnet Remix

 Rapper Kurupt hopes to follow in the fine tradition of Puff Daddy and Dave
Grohl by teaming with Monster Magnet for a rock remix of one of his
upcoming singles.

While the former Dogg Pound rapper is currently working on the first
single, "We Can Freak It," from his upcoming album, "Kuruption," he already
has an eye on his second single, "Gimmewhutchagot," which he hopes Monster
Magnet will remix.

Kurupt told MTV News last week that he, like much of mainstream America,
first caught wind of the band through their recent Buzz Clip for "Space
Lord."

The rapper was first turned on to the clip by a video editor named Randy
who works for A&M Records, the label that the rapper shares with the band.

"Randy basically brought me in to see an edit of the video for 'We Can
Freak It,' and I'm in there and Randy wanted to show me other videos he's
done," Kurupt explained of the origins of the union. "He's like, 'Let me
show you this other new one I did with a rock and roll group we have on our
label called Monster Magnet.'

And I'm like, 'O.K., let me peek it out.' And it's all dark and grim in the
beginning, and I'm like, 'O.K., I like that.' I'm like 'O.K.' Then the
curtain went up, man, behind them, and it was 'Arrrgh,' and I'm like,
'Eeeew, I love this.' I love the contrast. I love how it went from this to
that." [28.8 RealVideo]

Kurupt said that he wants Monster Magnet to beef up the guitar riff in
"Gimmewhutchagot," and that he also hopes to shoot a separate video for the
rock remix, a la Puffy and his two clips for "It's All About The Benjamins."

Spokespeople for A&M Records say that both parties are interested in the
project, but that nothing has been planned yet, and added that reports that
the remix has already happened are entirely off the mark.

For more on Kurupt, check out the MTV News Gallery.