HW: Where to now

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Thu Oct 15 11:46:31 EDT 1998

>>My collection to date consists of
>>Choose Your Masques
>>Hall of the Mountain Grill
>>Sonic Attack
>>Independent Days v1 & 2
>>Levitation
>>Mighty Hawkwind Classics 80 - 85
>>Space is Deep
>>Hawkwind Classics

    IMO, the best is yet to come! (Barring HotMG, which does rule
mightily!)

    _Space Ritual_ is a must.  Classic, roaring, live Hawkwind.

    From the other early stuff, I recommend _In Search of Space_
and _1999 Party_.  Although much of _Doremi Fasol Latido_ is
reproduced live on _Space Ritual_, it is IMO worth the price of
admission for Lemmy's bass solo in "Time We Left"; _Space Ritual
II_ for the same reason!

    From the late stuff, I point to _Palace Springs_ and _Electric
Teepee_, which I'm not totally happy with, but have some top-rate
stuff.  _California Brainstorm_ hasn't the world's best sound, but
the "Out of the Shadows > Snake Dance > Night of the Hawks" storms
utterly.

    Something Calvert-era for the full Hawkwind experience, probably
_Quark, Strangeness & Charm_, though one of the Calvert-era comps
would also be OK, like _Tales from Atomhenge_.

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson