This Ain't the Summer (was: Re: BOC: Scream)

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Oct 15 16:31:09 EDT 1998

Looks like I was (mostly) wrong ...

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 20:25:54 -0400, Albert T Bouchard
<ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM> (who was there!) wrote:

(after I <ceres at sirius.com> wrote):

DP>>Ain't The Summer Of Love") and was subsequently "borrowed" by
Pearlman/BOC.
DP>> So these are probably (sorry, don't have the record in front of me) the
DP>>original, correct, credits.
>
AB>Ahem... This was not "borrowed" by anyone. Waller came up with the title,
AB>Krugman fleshed out the lyrics and I wrote the music. Waller was delighted
AB>with the whole arrangement until there was actual money involved then
AB>everybody wants to rewrite history! Ha Ha
AB>Al

Thanks for setting the record straight (and I never meant to imply that any
"borrowing" was unauthorized) ... again, I don't actually own a copy of the
Imperial Dogs record (unfortunately, as it's a good example of post-Stooges
pre-punk 70s rock, was very limited to begin with [which would lead me to
believe that nobody made much $ off of it] and is now waaaay out of print),
but as I recall, it didn't include Bouchard/Krugman (oops! NOT Pearlman) in
the credits, which is what led me to believe that it was "originally" an
Imprerial Dogs tune, so I always figured it was a good example of Al's
talents in re-writing/fleshing-out/otherwise completing already-written
(but not "finished") songs.  FWIW, as I remember the Imperial Dogs version,
it sounded like a "less complete" version relative to the BOC version, but
definitely the same song (perhaps analagous to the "I'm on the lamb..." /
tR&tB situation?).  Again, I may have a slightly warped historical
perspective, but I recall hearing that Pearlman was interested in signing
the Imperial Dogs to Columbia, but they broke up before it could happen ...
so S.P. eventually went with the Dictators instead .... any truth to this,
or just more "rewritten history"?

As for Dog Meat records, they were an Australian label who haven't been
around for a few years (and were also known in an earlier, late 80s,
incarnation as Grown Up Wrong); they released the Imperial Dogs LP sometime
in the early 90s.  (ObTenuousHawkwindConnection: one of Dog Meat's other
releases was a mini-LP by Brother J.T.'s short-lived band Fuzzface, whose
only other recording was the track "Urban Guerilla" on the Hawkwind
tribute).  They put out some very cool punk/psych type crossover stuff.  I
seem to remember the recording dates for the Imperial Dogs album as 74/75,
which would have put it before AoF (thus leading me to believe...), but
again, I could be wrong ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com