This Ain't the Summer (was: Re: BOC: Scream)

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Oct 16 21:25:56 EDT 1998

Albert T Bouchard <ir004728 at MINDSPRING.COM> wrote:

>Hmmm:
>
>>seem to remember the recording dates for the Imperial Dogs album as 74/75,
>>which would have put it before AoF (thus leading me to believe...), but
>>again, I could be wrong ...
>
>Wait! Was Don Waller NOT the writer of the Imperial Dogs version? Maybe he
>stole the title from them and sold it to us!?? I worked on the song in late
>75. It was one of the last tunes we wrote before recording AoF.
>
>I'd be interested to know exactly who the writers credited on this
>recording... and if it's not Don Waller I'd be EXTREMELY interested in
>getting a copy.

This is confusing! (and what I THOUGHT I knew is obviously incorrect, so
don't trust anything I have said or will say here until I manage to check
out the details!)  I'll have to get in touch with my former housemate who
owns the Imperial Dogs LP to double-check song credits and liner notes (I
THOUGHT I remembered that the credits were D. Waller + others), as well as
to get a tape of the song so everyone can hear for themselves.  I *did*
find the track listing for a tape I made several years ago (when I had
access to said housemate's record collection) of "proto-punk" material from
64-77, on which the Imperial Dogs "This Ain't The Summer..." was listed as
a 1973 recording (which I must have copied from the liner notes of the LP).
 Unfortunately, I gave the tape to a female I had the hots for at the time,
without retaining a copy for myself (always a stupid move!).

Obviously, this will require further research (there may be info buried in
old fanzines, too - I found a review on the web from 'Noise For Heroes
fanzine at: http://members.webgalaxy.com/nkvd/auslph_l.htm#THE IMPERIAL
DOGS, but I have plenty of print stuff buried at home to look through).  I
will report back to the list with any discoveries, but it may take a few
weeks to turn something up.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com