OFF: Pink Dots in Cincinnati

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Oct 19 23:41:08 EDT 1998

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Keith Henderson wrote:

=> LPD has been known to me for quite awhile, but I hadn't heard any of the
=> music until perhaps 4-5 months ago, when I picked up a used CD (The Maria
=> Dimension, from 1991) after seeing Pam Wheaton's recommendation of LPD
=> music.  [I'd since picked up two others, The Lovers from the mid-80s, and
=> the one from 1992...can't remember the title off-hand...Neither of these
=> were as good.]  I was generally pleased with this stuff, though I wasn't too
=> keen on Ka-Spel's voice and singing style.  I would characterize his voice
=> as a nasal mix of Daevid Allen and Neil Tennant, or more simply, like
=> fictional hero Austin Powers....i.e., a ridiculously sappy, heavy
=> British-accented voice (though I'm sure he can't help it).

I'm glad it's not just me.  I also picked up a used LPD album (_Nine
Lives to Wonder_) on Pam Wheaton's recommendation, and found that the
vocalist "got on my wick in no time" (as I remember my review saying:).
I attributed it to a fanatical zeal to emulate Syd Barrett, but now I
like your Austin Powers explanation better. :-)

A classic case of a "shut up 'n' play yer guitar" band, IMHO.

Cheers,

Paul.

ob2CD-R: Gov't Mule, Trees---Dallas, Texas, 4/4/98

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"Stand by to stand by"
        --- Gov't Mule