HW: Motorhead

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Tue Oct 20 10:34:51 EDT 1998

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 10:04 am +0100 "M S Wright" <M.S.Wright at READING.AC.UK>
wrote:
> If I had one complaint about the evening it was this: Motorhead
> coffee mugs. I fear that this is neither Rock nor Roll. I am looking
> forward to the next tour's merchandise, fluffy slippers with the logo, a
> deluxe limited edition set with leather soles? A pouch for your pipe
> tobacco? Motorhead walking sticks? Hmmm....

    Hey, I dug the Motorhead coffe mugs :)  Had to have one--I'm
going to worry people with that for *years*, no matter where I go :)

> After 20 minutes I went to the toilet, and
> discovered that the vocals were clearer outside. I also discovered that I
> had got a ringing in my ears.

    Without earplugs it verged on a wall of noise.  With ear-plugs
it sounded decently mixed and Lemmy's vocals were distressingly
clear.  It may be cheating, but since the sound man's got 'em,
it's nice to hear the gig you paid for!

> The songs I can remember are Love for Sale (a subtle reworking of
> Calvert's time for sale [no, not really]), maybe Don't Lie to Me, Civil
> War, Over your Shoulder, Born to Raise Hell, I'm so bad (Baby I don't
> Care), Going to Brazil (which is just so good, if you haven't got any
> later Motorhead then this is one of the many superb songs you're missing
> out on), Orgasmatron (a super fine song), Nothing up my Sleeve, Dead men
> Tell no Tales, I got mine, Iron Fist, Ace of Spades, The Chase is better
> than the Catch, Metropolis, Killed by Death. The Encore finished with
> Overkill.

    There was "Shine" in there somewhere as well.  The "Hootchie
Cootchie Man"-type song (with random lyrics) which they had been
playing was gone, oh, but "Overnight Sensation" was still in
there.  Probably some other stuff.  There was, actually, a good
balance between the "classic" stuff and the new stuff.  IMO, when
you hear them all together like that, they all sound remarkably
good (I just realized the other day that I actually don't currently
own proper albums of anything before _1916_, I just have the old
stuff on compilations!  On the other hand, I have everything after
_1916_, barring _March or Die_, with me :)

    I don't recall hearing Lemmy's usual promise to kick our ass,
but he did :)

Cheers,
Carl

--