Donnington '81

Mark P Lee MLee at ESPARTO.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Oct 22 09:58:01 EDT 1998

This caught me eye...

>  I believe that BOC were in dispute with the organisers/promoter re.
marketing. Hence
>their absence from souvineers for that occasion. The photo was, as someone
else said , a
>good oppourtunity for a staged outburst. The 'new wave' comment was I
suspect not Eric's
>at all (or if it was a quote, it was also 'staged') at that time SOUNDS
was in it's HM

>phase, unlike a couple of years before, so it stacked up with it's policy
of the time.
>1981 of course.
>It is unclear to me anyway, what the effect of Albert's departure was at
this time but
>BOC's placing on this bill still mystifies me, it being essentially a
'boogie' bill, and
>their placing after Slade particularly unfortunate.

As I recall the promoters were MCP and the dispute as I heard it was aimed
initially at the way that the organisers were being "dictated to by one
group of
artisits" (AC/DC), IIRC it was AC/DC who had the ultimate control over the
levels
of sound produced by everyone else... Noddy Holder actually hinted at this
during
the set by Slade and was overheard having a dig backstage afterwards ( I
managed
to snaff a ticket off one of the organisers for 81 thru 85 ). I didn't
witness the
incident above but staged or not it expressed some of the feelings felt by
more
than just BOC on the day.  I remember BOC's set and although not one of the
best by any stretch it was as good as could be expected under the
circumstances
I thought, roadie on drums etc, anyway it was the first time I saw 'em
live. !!

Mark.

Gleefully giggling his way along the humpbacked highway of life...
Please reply to

                mark at esparto.demon.co.uk