OFF: Humourless:Was Donnington Question

William Duffy xl5 at IINET.NET.AU
Sat Oct 24 13:07:56 EDT 1998

> At 02:02 25/10/1998 +1000, you wrote:
> >> And nothing can convince me that the Comedy Strip were anything but
> >> unfunny, middle class, university graduates who should never
> been allowed
> >> in front of a camera.  It may have been funny in front of 100 other
> >> undergraduates, but please!
> >
> >Are you saying you didn't like:-
> >Comic Strip Presents
> >The Young Ones
>
> Puerile and juvenile
>

> >Bottom
>
> Sporadically amusing toilet humour
>

> >Absolutely Fabulous?????
>
> Complete and utter tripe.  In jokes for overpaid, undertalented luvvies.
> >
> >Were they any different from the Oxbridge Footlights crowd when they
> >started out?, i.e. Monty Python, Goodies, etc.
>
> Who were also undertalented and overvalued.  Although, to be fair some of
> the individual Pythons have had some hilarious moments, and the films in
> general were excellent, but the original TV series were dire.  The Goodies
> were unmitigated shite and no number of midlife crisis ridden forty
> somethings claiming otherwise will convince me otherwise.

Some, not all, of the Comic Strips were funny. Samr goes for The Young Ones
and Bottom. I hate Absolutely Fabulous, but believe the actresses are
talented but wasted.
I definately disagree with your views on Monty Python and The Goodies
(particularly The Goodies!), and it all makes me wonder what you consider to
be good humour?

William