OFF: Humourless:Was Donnington Question

christmu at EUNET.NO christmu at EUNET.NO
Sun Oct 25 11:16:57 EST 1998

>>The Young Ones

>Puerile and juvenile

Would we want it any other way?

>>Bottom
>Sporadically amusing toilet humour

Nothing I couldn't outdo myself (on the toilet)

>>Absolutely Fabulous?????
>Complete and utter tripe.  In jokes for overpaid, undertalented luvvies.

Time to get a face peel?

I agree the Comic Strip stuff is incredibly lame - Bottom is sort of half
funny, mediocre at best. Now, Young Ones - the anarchic/surreal
undercurrent and offensiveness for its own sake... worked for me, some
episodes are outright classics! How can you fail to laugh at some YO
episodes..... ("Bambi"?), I always saw these guys as forces inside
someone's head!? And as for Absolutely Fabulous... few shows point out the
basic folly of mankind as well as that one.... little to do with in-jokes
or reference really, other than some sort of context (and what better than
the one you point out?) Its the same as seeing Black Adder as only a bunch
of historical in-jokes.

Christian