OFF: Comic Strip et al...

Max Wilcox m.wilcox at UQ.NET.AU
Mon Oct 26 11:51:04 EST 1998

        Comedy, by definition is defined by an individuals' taste. Therefore it is
impossible to argue about which thing or that is better.
        For the record, I enjoy "comedy" programs even if they are not funny. Red
Dwarf, for example, is not funny all the time, but contains other elements
that sustain my enthusiasm for it.
        Comic strip, I believe are the most thought out, most politically
subversive and most enjoyable comedies available nowadays. Seinfeld,
Sanders, etc are mimetic and imitative, in my opinion and, though I enjoy
the odd episode, I don't think they have much value overall. Apart from the
Frogger episode of Seinfeld.
        Bad News is --> In my opinion <-- the best, and most intelligent satire
dealing with the heavy metal genre. Spinal Tap was crap. I identify with the
comedy involved.
        Anyway, that's enough rationalisation for one night. On to some more wine.

Max Wilcox