OFF: Humourless:Was D

Mark Edmonds edmondsm.brbs at EMS.RAIL.CO.UK
Mon Oct 26 10:38:00 EST 1998

From: Mark Edmonds
Date: 1998-10-26 15:38

I'm still trying to work out how this thread went from Donnington to British
TV Humour but....

The Young Ones: bloody daft if you ask me. The only time it REALLY made me
laugh was the episode where the stage set suddenly got pulled away and they
found themselves on some quiz show (or something or other). Basically, I
don't think it would stand a single repeat these days. (Someone will no
doubt prove me wrong and state that it has been used as programme filler on
BBC World...).

Ultimately ('cos I still don't know how this thread got there so I don't
know what I am adding to), the only ones (IMHO) which have survived the test
of time have been the original Beyond the Fringe recordings and Fawlty
Towers. Its nice to laugh at things for nostalgic reasons but nearly all the
other stuff (including the Legenday Goodies bouncing bomb sequence) will be
consigned to post 9PM pub talk for a narrow generation bandwidth when there
has been one beer too many.

"We need a futile gesture at this time Perkins."