Bootleg CD removal from Codex proposed

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Oct 29 13:50:14 EST 1998

To my mind there are now so many bootleg CDs coming out from fans own CD
writers on their home computers in release numbers of 50 or less that
they're now simply the equivalent (and in many cases are merely CD
prints of) the live tapes that also do the rounds.

The original purpose of the Codex was to enable fans to discover which
versions of which tracks appeared on the many official, semi-official
albums, singles and EP's by Hawkwind.

It seems to me that whereas the Codex should incorporate items released
in numbers of 250 or more, it's becoming pointless to include tracks
from Cds off which 5 copies have been made and released to a few friends
of the fan who printed them. It's somewhat unlikely that most folks will
ever come across many of these CDs and it's beginning to look like
numbers of them are heading towards becoming a significant fraction of
the official albums and the Codex will simply degenerate into an index
of live tapes.

What I propose is to remove entries of fan CD's and reduce the Codex to
indexing vinyl releases, official releases, and bootleg releases where
these appear to be in significant numbers.

I've listed the bootlegs below and my proposals for them. If anyone
knows that any that I'm thinking of rejecting are (semi)official or have
been produced in significant numbers then please let me know. In fact if
you know the print run of any of them then please let me know and I'll
add a note to the discography (discretion assured).

If any of you have an argument about this or comments to make, then also
please let me know.

Also: Have I missed any out here?

To my thinking the current split would be:

In the Codex:
-------------

Hawkwind Live at Stonehenge and Watchfield (vinyl boot of Weird 103)
The Golden Void (vinyl boot of Glasgow 1982)
Solstice at Stonehenge (Yugoslav vinyl boot of Stonehenge 83)
Live at St. Albans - (live 79 boot CD released in fair numbers)
Kings of Speed, Lords of Light (semiofficial boot CD of German gig)
Assassins of Allah (compilation vinyl boot)
Dawn of Hawkwind (compilation CD boot)
Rock City (CD boot of 93 gig)
The Cyberspace Conspiracy (vinyl boot)

Out of the Codex:
-----------------
Nova Drive (CD boot)
Timeless Paens From The Ongoing Rituals of Space (CD boot)
The Secret Tepee (CD boot)
Corridor of Flame (CD boot)
The A Files (CD boot)
Hawkwind Live at the Kinetic Playground (CD boot)
Atomhenge 76 (CD boot)
A Quark Night in Paris (CD boot)

Undecided
---------
Damnation Alley (Minneapolis 89 CD boot)
Theta Orionis (CD boot)