Bootleg CD removal from Codex proposed

Kevin Sommers novadrive at PANGEATECH.COM
Thu Oct 29 17:21:10 EST 1998

>To my mind there are now so many bootleg CDs coming out from fans own CD
>writers on their home computers in release numbers of 50 or less that
>they're now simply the equivalent (and in many cases are merely CD
>prints of) the live tapes that also do the rounds.
>
>The original purpose of the Codex was to enable fans to discover which
>versions of which tracks appeared on the many official, semi-official
>albums, singles and EP's by Hawkwind.
>
>It seems to me that whereas the Codex should incorporate items released
>in numbers of 250 or more, it's becoming pointless to include tracks
>from Cds off which 5 copies have been made and released to a few friends
>of the fan who printed them. It's somewhat unlikely that most folks will
>ever come across many of these CDs and it's beginning to look like
>numbers of them are heading towards becoming a significant fraction of
>the official albums and the Codex will simply degenerate into an index
>of live tapes.
>
>What I propose is to remove entries of fan CD's and reduce the Codex to
>indexing vinyl releases, official releases, and bootleg releases where
>these appear to be in significant numbers.
>
>I've listed the bootlegs below and my proposals for them. If anyone
>knows that any that I'm thinking of rejecting are (semi)official or have
>been produced in significant numbers then please let me know. In fact if
>you know the print run of any of them then please let me know and I'll
>add a note to the discography (discretion assured).
>
>If any of you have an argument about this or comments to make, then also
>please let me know.
>
>Also: Have I missed any out here?
>

>To my thinking the current split would be:
>
>In the Codex:
>-------------
>
>Hawkwind Live at Stonehenge and Watchfield (vinyl boot of Weird 103)
>The Golden Void (vinyl boot of Glasgow 1982)
>Solstice at Stonehenge (Yugoslav vinyl boot of Stonehenge 83)
>Live at St. Albans - (live 79 boot CD released in fair numbers)
>Kings of Speed, Lords of Light (semiofficial boot CD of German gig)
>Assassins of Allah (compilation vinyl boot)
>Dawn of Hawkwind (compilation CD boot)
>Rock City (CD boot of 93 gig)
>The Cyberspace Conspiracy (vinyl boot)
>

>Out of the Codex:
>-----------------
>Nova Drive (CD boot)
>Timeless Paens From The Ongoing Rituals of Space (CD boot)
>The Secret Tepee (CD boot)
>Corridor of Flame (CD boot)
>The A Files (CD boot)
>Hawkwind Live at the Kinetic Playground (CD boot)
>Atomhenge 76 (CD boot)
>A Quark Night in Paris (CD boot)
>

>Undecided
>---------
>Damnation Alley (Minneapolis 89 CD boot)
>Theta Orionis (CD boot)

I'm a bit biased, maybe (probably.........OK, definitely!), but I'd have to
say I agree.  I do think 'Theta Orionis' should be included, but why is
'Damnation Alley' "Undecided"?  I had always assumed that was a very small
run (~5).

Kevin Sommers

primiti too taa, nnz kkr muu

http://www.psn.net/~novadrive/