HW:Under the Sun

Al Ogilvy Alogilvy at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 31 03:16:49 EST 1998

During the late 70's I was involved in the local rock scene in Telford
Shropshire . For those of you who dont know Telford is a "New town",which
basically means it is an attempt to artificially create a large town by
filling in the gaps around old towns and villages with new development.It is
aprox.30 miles from Birmingham,the UK's 2nd biggest city,roughly in the middle
of the country.Under the Sun were a band from Telford who got lucky and
recorded an album at a (more or less) local studio and pressed it
independently in small quantities.Most of us saw them as Hawkwind clones at
the time ,which is not to put them down ,because they were reasonably
competent at what they did compared to most of the rest of us.Several members
came from Wellington,and I remember sharing a rehersal with them at a church
hall there.One of the guys had a brother who was a Hawkwind roadie at one
stage,I believe...(My memories a bit hazy on this,but I dod know that some of
them at least were huge HW fans,as most of the rest of us were.) One of the
guys played half a flute (Honest!!) Nik turner style , through lots of echo (I
have a vague memory of them using a tape loop echo machine with lots of heads
on it )...I think his name was andy.Also a guy called Stu Cairns on guitar.I
remember doing a gig with them...I think the band we were then involved in was
called "Flashpoint",although I;m not sure.The Gig was the one and only time I
shared a gig with them,and was at a small hall in Oakengates,to an audience of
about 40 kids ....I think it may have been a youth club event.I remember their
light show being impressive despite being cobbled together with borrowed slide
projectors,and,I seem to recall,a borrowed liquid wheel projector (Mine I
think).I remember EVERYONE there thinking " uhmmm...Hawkwind fans are
they???"..The slide effects included shots of earth from space,Rockets taking
off etc.But they were enjoyable.
 Lastly,my apologies to the band if My memory is incorrect on anything,but if
any of you are out there reading this,or anyone from the late 70's Telford
scene,please contact me....It would be great to talk.
 Hope this has been some use to the originator of this query.(sorry,I;ve lost
the details,but please feel free to contact me.)
All the best
Al.