OFF: Willie Dixon Led Zeppelin lawsuit

brian halligan brianh at PULLEYN.COM
Tue Sep 1 08:06:43 EDT 1998

Paul said:
>I was just listening to the Willie Dixon Chess Box Set this evening,
>and, listening to CD 2, it made me wonder if Willie Dixon ever won his
>lawsuit against Led Zeppelin for their "Whole Lotta Love" single?  (It
>bears *more* than a passing resemblance to the song he wrote for Muddy
>Waters, called "You Need Love.")

I have the Zep Box Set II, and songs are credited to Dixon (and I think
some are listed as Page/Plant/Dixon, but I haven't looked at the credits
lately.)  This would be from the early '90s.

>Actually, Zeppelin appear to have covered quite a few of Dixon's songs:
>"You Shook Me," "Bring It On Home" (on-topic HW reference:), and "I
>Can't Quit You Baby."  (I notice they don't credit him on "Bring It On
>Home," at least not on the copy of _Led Zeppelin II_ I have to hand.
>Tsk, tsk, shame on them...)

My favorite is "How Many More Times", which rips-off every bluesman who
ever even heard of Chicago ;-)

Brian

Brian Halligan
mailto:brianh at pulleyn.com
http://home.earthlink.net/~halligan/wicker.html

"We are drawing a moustache on the wanted poster of the face of music."
-Fierce Wicker