Copyright (was: You have a postcard)

The Automind antisol at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 4 15:26:37 EDT 1998

>>It's definitely illegal, John...but it doesn't bother me as much as
>it does you.
>
>What actually bothered me was not so much the notion that it was
illegal,
>but that the "disclaimer" implied that the site developer knew that
>the material might be "objectionable", and only made the promise to
>remove it if the "artist" complained - and left it basically up to >the
artist to find the website (like musicians should be constantly >surfing
the net to see who might be using their stuff).

It's not like they're making money off of it! It's just as illegal to
tape a record and give it to your friend. The same laws apply, and no
one has ever really cared or tried to enforce them.

>>And I'll add here that it's a lot different than what
>Barnicle did, because these postcard people aren't claiming to have
>written the songs and lyrics...in fact, the disclaimer makes it clear
>that they did not.
>
>My point wasn't that it was the same thing.  My point was Barnicle at
>least could claim (whether one believed him or not is subject to
>debate)ignorance or sloppiness, as opposed to outright plagiarism.
>The disclaimer on the site, in my interpretation, implies that the
>site is knowingly infringing on copyright.  Which is why I suggested
>that people would've been really upset with Barnicle had he added a
>"disclaimer" to his articlethat basically said he'd stop quoting
>George Carlin if George asked him
>to.

Mike Barnicle was also a highly paid professional editorialist in a
respected newspaper.

>(BTW, I don't mean to attack Mike Barnicle here - I like a lot of
>his work - I have mixed feelings as to his actions, but all I know is
>that he put his employers in a lose-lose situation).

I've agreed strongly with some of his opinions- though I've always
thought he was sort of an opportunist. What pisses me off is how he's
being persecuted by the media industry for the kind of s--- they pull
every day and know it.

"This is a sad day for journalism everywhere" (grrrrrrrrrr!)

               THE AUTOMIND IS NOT AMUSED

                    -----.    .-----
                   |____ |    | ____|
                        \|    |/