OFF: Legendary Pink Dots NA tour

christmu at EUNET.NO christmu at EUNET.NO
Wed Sep 9 09:20:33 EDT 1998

These guys are great live, getting into really amazing psychedelic jams and
cerebrally challenging monologues. A sort of Gothic Hawkwind (not gothic as
in Sisters of Mercy as much as Arthur Brown or 60's Pink Floyd could be...
LPD obviously have a heavy Barrett/Floyd influence and I suspect Allen's
Gong to be another big one), though their albums and lineups vary quite
wildly period to period or album to album (like Hawkwind? :)... currently
they have a great sax/flutist who I remember doubling up saxes through
weird electronic FX gear, they also have a guitarist who really jams out,
and they use lots of those synth squeaks and bubbles and stretchy raygun
sounds we all love so much. Likely the rhythm section's Twilight Circus
1-man act will open, which is sort of sideshow-carnival-dub-crazy Ozric
Tentacles ...

Check out the fairly recent albums like "Hallway of The Gods" ('95) or
"From Here You'll Watch The World Go By" ('97) for Legendary Pink Dots at
their spaciest. They just released a new one I haven't heard called
"Nemesis Online" on their own Terminal Kaleidoscope label. They also cover
a NEU! track on one of those Cleopatra tribute sets. If you find them, go
for the Play It Again Sam label CDs of their older releases (like the
excellent "The Crushed Velvet Apocalypse" ('89) or the representative 90-95
comp "Cante Mientras Puedras"), because most of the Soleilmoon reissues
have cheap packaging and different (inferior) graphics. I also really
recommend the early concept album "The Tower" (1984).

For more fun about LPD, go unto http://www.brainwashed.com/lpd/ which has
MP3s of the new album and loads of stuff. The "December 31 1999" monologue
reproduced on the site was the most memorable
monologue-dissolves-into-freakout bit live (along with one called "The
Saucers Are Coming")

Christian

ObTape: Lotto - The Sound of Lotto! (incl. a track called "The Prophets of
Lotto")
ObCD: Anubian Lights - Let Not The Flame Die Out
ObCDR: Glenn Fletcher - Void/Out Of It