BOC: Dissin' the Dizbusters

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Mon Sep 14 11:19:09 EDT 1998

>If you weren't getting the lyric, maybe you were just standing to
close to the speakers like Charles Grodin was ;-), just kidding about
the
Grodin crack I couldn't help myself, I consider you guys my friends and
sometimes crack a joke or two :-).

LOL, no offense taken, that was very funny.  But the early BOC lyrics a)
weren't as important to me as the music.  Part of this being my oown
persoanl background.  Even during my headbanging rock and roll years in
high school I still partied with the funk and dance music.  Essentially
lyrics were not the end-all for me, the groove is what mattered.  And
you have to admit it took effort to make out what Eric was singin in the
eraly days.  Part of that may be the recording quality, but I also don't
think the band knew just how good they really were back then.   They
were young as a unit after all.

>I don't think Buck would be a better Jazz musician, I couldn't hear him doing
that, Jazz is a very technical form of music I guess and when it comes
to technicality none are higher than Buck, but I have always hated
Jazz, it always seemed to "random" for me, Bucks unique and original
guitar playing was just another thing that set them apart and above the
rest of the crowd.

Ah we disagree here.  I love Jazz and treust me Buck would kill this
stuff.  Besides as you have doubtlessly seen -

AL>Buck's dad, Don Roeser Sr., (Buck is Don Roeser Jr.) is an excellent
JAZZ sax player. He has played semi-professionally all his life and Don
Jr,'s
first experience playing in a band was sitting in with his father.
Buck's
first musical vocabulary was jazz. I'm sure he could be a jazz giant if
that's what he chose to do."

An opinion like that I'd take to the bank!

>About groove, definitely, no other band has had a better groove and no other
band ever will, "Before the Kiss, a Redcap" nuff said with that song.

Very true.  Before BOC my idea of great rock was three chords and some
shouting.  BOC pushed me into exploring all types of rock and roll,
Jazz, Jazz rock fusion; nothing was off limits anymore thanks to these
guys.

Ghost in the Ruins