BOC: Of Subhumans and Spin Doctors

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Mon Sep 14 11:30:46 EDT 1998

>I'll throw in a few thoughts on the 7 Screamin' ones...

>My first BOC album was Some Enchanted Evening, but I quickly assimilated
all of them (on 8-track!), and I recall that OYFOOYK was one of the
first
ones.  As has been said here by others before, that opening track,
Subhuman,
quickly became the definitive BOC song for me - rockin', and yet
psychadelic - and the blend of textures of the instruments - 2 guitars,
keys,
bass, and drums - raw yes, but oh so good.

Subhuman from Feet/Knees was the BOC song for me then and remains so
now.  This is the one song that I include on any newbie introductory
setlist.

> My next favorite track from that album was probably 7 Screaming Diz-Busters
-- I remember this song as the ultimate BOC tunes for wacked-out lyrics
at that time.  And the music!  Again, lots of instrumental texture here
- and also more variety of musical styles than Subhuman - from a
mellow, almost jazzy feel to the prototype speed metal - with lots of
great soloing from Buck, and some great shifts in the song before and
after Eric's "Lucifer the Light"
monologue.  I heard a live broadcast of BOC in the early 80s that
included
a 1975 show in Seatle (that appears on the infamous "Live in the West"
tape),
where Eric's monlogue is about "the dude in the sharkskin suit", and how
Eric makes a deal with the devil to become a rock star.  The
instrumentation
on that version is even BETTER than OYFOOYK - the way the band comes to
a halt after Buck's solo, and right before Eric's rap - and then just
the
brothers Bouchard come in, Albert providing a simple stark beat to Joe's
pounding out a simple bass figure - then in comes some sinewy keys by
Allen, and Eric does his thing, and then after he sings "I'm comin' to
take you away", and then "1 2 3 4!" and the band slams it for the final
30 seconds -- ooh, the memories...

Do you kow if there is a boot of this show on CD?  Hard to imagine a
better version of the song than Feet Keens but I'm sure its there
somewhere.

>Pardon me, I gotta go change my underwear now...  ;-)

Skid marks?  8>)

Another Spawn Entry for the Faq, man.  They recently released on video
the second season, Spawn 2.  As you know the Dominance and Submission
line was uttered by the Violator in the first episode of of the second
season.  They also use this line again as the intro for the new video.
Man, either BOC or tBS should blare this over the loudspeakers before
launching into the song, t'would be so kewl...

>Wasn't like I mentioned Y&T or anything...  ;-)

Enough with the Bill Clinton here, FAQMAN.  Its about the ladies and the
number of bands they play in; you know that.  I can only conlclude that
you are a "ladies man". 8>)

Ghost in the Ruins

"It's not like we're vicious or gone
We just dug up the graves where your relatives lay
In old forest lawn
And it's not like we don't know the score
We're the fragile elite they dragged off the street
I guess they just couldn't take us no more." - Alice Cooper