BOC,TBS,OFF: Guitar-o-ramarooni and SFG

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Tue Sep 15 09:56:42 EDT 1998

At 07:35 AM 9/15/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Welcome back!  About time you got back online...
Agreed!

>Agreed that BD is strictly non-blues, but if you climb back down the
>metal family tree to Tony Iommi, you'll note that Tony's very much
>blues based.  And he likely got it from the godfather of metal, Jeff
>Beck, who, in the old days, was very bluesy.  Branch that over to
>Jimmy Page, and you can see another proto-metaler who's got a foot
>[or both] in the blues...
We can thank the best 60s guitar band the Yardbirds for Beck and Page.
Check out the LP _Roger the Engineer_ (or _the Yardbirds_ as its known)
for some prime odd Beck work--the whole disc is a cross with what used to
be a rhythm n' blues band that went into the realm of trippy psychadelia.
BUT, it does convey a certain heavyness in how it  comes across at times
(such as the classic "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago," with Beck and Page
rippin up the fret board).

I find the SFG material very interesting in how it relates to the
psychadelic sound, but even then it was too ...too... "different" to really
fit in with it.  The attitude was not laid back enough methinks.

>> (save for the blues songs like "LDoM," "Divine Wind," etc.)
>But neither song utilizes a blues scale in the lead parts...
Again, the beauty of BOC :)

>Oh, yeah, daddy-o, you're spot on with that part...

Speaking of odd anachronisms, I wonder if they'll ever mention BOC in "That
70's Show," particularly with the laser in the eye legend.
God I hope not. It would be too out of place in terms of how the show
presents itself (one episode was 1 too many for me).

It's a shame that tBS won't do "Hassan I Sabha" again live.
Jason