BOC: Birdman again

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Sep 16 15:30:19 EDT 1998

Just a couple quick notes on the subject -

The Birdman boot that titles CoE as "Career Beatle" is a New
Zealand-released LP called 'Murder City Nights'.  I haven't heard the
'Rock&Roll War' version (anyone wanna trade tapes?), so I don't know
whether they compare or not ... the 'Murder City Nights' version sounds
like a very early Radio Birdman recording ... possibly from the pre-Masuak
5-piece lineup.

I heard the remastered 'Living Eyes' the other day in Amoeba records (SF)
and was pretty shocked to hear that it's been massively reMIXed also.  For
instance, the whole "Eat a chilli dog, lots of onions..." vocal on the
bridge of "Do The TPBR" has been replaced with a guitar solo.  It sounds
great, but now I need both versions of the album!

Watt's on tour again, with my pal Bob Lee (of a zillion bands, including
Slotnick on the 'Assassins of Silence' Hawkwind tribute) drumming once
again.  Bob tells me that they've added about 10 cover songs to the set,
although he didn't identify any by title ... but I'd be *shocked* if there
wasn't at least one BOC song in the lot ...

My favorite version of the D&S is by a long-defunct San Francisco band
called World of Pooh, with bassist Barbara Manning singing "submission" on
the call-and-response part ... sends chills down my spine every time ...

laters,

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com