HW: Atomhenge/Quark N

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Sep 21 13:17:14 EDT 1998

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Mark Edmonds wrote:

=> From: Mark Edmonds
=> Date: 1998-09-21 09:25
=>
=> >But Doug, how can you live with those track silences on Atomhenge?? :)
=>
=> >Christian
=>
=> I agree they are a nuisance but I suppose they must have been done for a
=> reason. Having bought the CD, I now have to dump it to minidisc and edit the
=> blanks out.

Maybe the reason was that the person didn't know any better? ;-)

The annoying (and baffling) thing is, that those silences are *part of
the track*, and not the usual two second "pre-gap" between tracks.
That means to make a "seamless" _Atomhenge 76_ you need to grab the
audio, then remove the last two seconds of digital silence of each
track.  *But*, you have to make sure you still leave the number of
samples in the track to round out to an even sector size, otherwise when
you write back the modified tracks to disc, you run the risk of
introducing tiny gaps of silence due to zero samples used to pad out
odd-length end sectors.  (I.e., make sure you use a CD-aware audio
editing package, for flawless results.)

Does anyone know if _A Quark Night in Paris_ is similarly brain-damaged?

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Dave Brock, _Earthed to the Ground/Agents of Chaos_

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix