HW: Spirit of the Age CD (& Alien4/Aliens)

christmu at EUNET.NO christmu at EUNET.NO
Wed Sep 23 08:46:10 EDT 1998

>From: Mark Edmonds
>Date: 1998-09-23 09:50

>I found a Griffin CD which had
>(I think) 4 tracks on it, each of which (I think) was a remix of Spirit of
>the Age. Being in the UK, this CD had come in as a Canadian import with a
>suitably high price tag. I couldn't work out from the sleeve who was
>directly responsible for the remixing or when this thing was released.
>
>Is it just a CD EP from the Solstice Reconstructions (or whatever its called
> - I don't have this)?
>Is it worth collecting for rarity anyway?

Its worth collecting for the interesting tracks and the tasty cover art!
You have probably seen the Griffin version of the Quark EP... (a personal
peeve: the cheap lookin' printing on the Griffin editions! It looks like
they shoot all the art from the printed EBS ones or used a bad color copier
or something!)

Anyway, an excellent CD, especially noted for the great lost techno-ish 9
minute energetic Hawkwind freakout "Black Sun", a couple of weird bouncy
remixes of "Uncle Sam's On Mars" by Astralasia, and an edited version of
the rearranged live "Spirit of The Age" from Business Trip.

>Two further related questions:
>
>What is the general opinion on the Solstice Reconstructions CD? Is it really
>worth getting or interesting or IITBOTFTBD quality or forget it?

I for one thought it was kind of ho-hum. Much of it is pretty lame or not
very innovative at all. But curious it is.

Now, can someone here fix me up with a copy of the Spirit Of The Age remix
EP!!???

>I can't remember what the second question was.

!!

Well, I'll toss in my long standing rational/sceptical
interpretation/theory that the Alien4/Aliens business merely is a cock-up
and is in fact the same record.

Christian