BOC,BRAIN,HW : Something for everyone?

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Sep 30 14:08:38 EDT 1998

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:07:16 -0400, Bolts of Ungodly Vision
<js3619 at WIZVAX.NET> wrote:

>Quick MC 5 question:  Anyone heard the CD _Ice Pick Slim_? I'm thinking of
>picking it up.

Yes.  It's an interesting item because it displays the extended free jazz
and soul leanings that were part of the "classic" MC5 live set, but were
barely represented on 'Kick Out The Jams'.  If you want to hear more stuff
like the version of "Starship" on that album, then 'Ice Pick Slim' is
probably the best MC5 album to get.  On the other hand, if you're only into
their shorter songs and more punk-ish stuff, then this would be the worst
MC5 album to get; instead, I would recommend 'Teenage Lust', which includes
rawer/superior live versions of most of the 'Back in the USA' LP.

>Quicker Hawkwind question:  Is Hawkwind punk?

Sometimes, yes (nearly all of the UA and Charisma singles, 'Hawklords Live
78', "Right to Decide", most anything with Ron Tree, etc.).
Sometimes, no (the first LP, "Golden Void", the entire Huw era, IItBotFtbD,
etc.).

But hey, the singers of both the Sex Pistols (John Lydon) and Black Flag
(Dez Cadena) were Hawkwind fans, so who could deny it ... ?

>Tentative ans.: Yes.  Reasons to come soon.

Let 'em fly ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com