Tim Blake - opinions please

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Sep 30 19:36:36 EDT 1998

David G writes:

> David G wrote:
>
> > I have both NJ and CM and can recommend both of them.  They tend more toward
> > the "octave Doctors" type material Blake did with Gong than the out and out
> > Hawk stuff,  but then he was always more ethereal than Simon House.  IMO,  CM
> > is the easier listen,  but both are pretty good 3am albums.  I can't comment on
> > Magick,  I've never heard of it.  In fact,  which CD supplier is it from,  I'll
> > probably buy it!

Magick is a disappointment - primarily in that he tries to sing rather
than let his music speak for him and it doesn't work.

> > DaveG
> >

> Just read the other replies to the post,  I'm in the minority again,  does this
> mean I get a grant?

Not quite a minority 8-) .   I bought both albums at the same time and
found I preferred Crystal Machine as having a harder feel to the synth
sound which I initially preferred to NJ.   However I've really come to
appreciate the gentler intensity behind the NJ sound and his incredible
ability to vary the tone and atmosphere and how he can fluctuate and
move the music around.   This is how electronic music should have
developed in this country and if he had continued his music career then
artists would have taken their examples from him rather than from more
solid and serious German sound.     It would have been a wholly
different genre!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk