HW: the original "Death Trap"

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Apr 5 14:19:26 EDT 1999

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999 00:54:44 +0100, Jonathan Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:

>> > I still don't understand why it never made it onto a compilation
>> > of the Charisma-era material.  I think that era needs an equivalent of
>> > 'Stasis' to put all the single sides together in one place.
>>
>> possibly because it was released under 'Hawklords' rather than
>> 'Hawkwind' and therefore falls in the greyish area when Hawkwind weren't
>> Hawkwind.  Just a guess but it might make a difference.

For the record, I already have all the usual Charisma stuff on vinyl
(including the "Back on the Streets" 7" and the "25 Years" 12", although my
copy of PXR5 has a slight edge warp that's very audible on the first song -
"Death Trap" - arrrrrgh!), I was merely looking for the convenience of
having it on CD, too (the thought came to me when I was making a Hawkwind
"best-of" comp for a friend, and it was the only track I had to go to a
vinyl copy for).

>        Well, 'Tales From Atomhenge' is very much that sort of
>compilation, featuring several otherwise-unavailable tracks,

I have the slightly-earlier 'Spirit of the Age' comp, which is essentially
the same track listing except that TfA has the two non-LP B-sides that are
also on the Griffin 'Astounding Sounds' CD.  An otherwise great collection
in either variation - except for the omission of "Death Trap"!

>I'd rather like a CD of '25 Years On' though that
>Gilham's not the only one with an original vinyl these days),

Me, too!  Although I'd love to see it done properly as a 'Hawklords
Complete' CD with "Valium Ten", "Who's Gonna Win The War", "British Tribal
Music" and even "Douglas In The Jungle" as bonus tracks (along with any
other Hawklords studio outtakes that might exist).  BTW, if anyone really
needs one, I have an extra vinyl copy (or two) of '25 Years On'.  For some
reason, it turns up quite a bit (always as a promo copy!) in the USA.

>and (b) it
>still hasn't got 'Death Trap' on it, which I thought was a near-criminal
>omission.

Yep.  Can't say that enough times.  Here's my dream CD comp:

Kerb Crawler (single version - is this different from the LP?)
Honky Dorky
Back on the Streets
Dream of Isis
Quark, Strangeness & Charm
Forge of Vulcan
Hassan i Sahba
Damnation Alley (part one)
Psi Power (7" edit)
Death Trap
25 Years (12" version)
PXR5
Only the Dead Dreams of the Cold War Kid

plus, if there's room for some non-single tracks:
Reefer Madness
Spirit of the Age
Robot
Flying Doctor