25 Years CD Rot

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Apr 6 08:38:17 EDT 1999

Mark Edmonds writes:

> From: Mark Edmonds
> Date: 1999-04-06 10:14
>
> My 25 Years Virgin CD is showing serious signs of decay. It looks like
> air is getting into the layer between the data part of the disc and the
> label and it looks like it has streaks of some sort of growth growing
> into the centre of the disc. Thankfully, the playing time of this disc is
> so short that it has to grow over more than 50% of the disc to affect the
> sound but its not very conforting anyway. Has anyone else come across
> this problem or have I just got a dud? If it is a case of the disc layers
> separating, is there a known cure to slow the process down? I was
> wondering if something crazy like putting a thin layer of glue round the
> rim might help matters? Thanks for any advice here.

sounds nasty!   Mutant CD-eating mould.   I hope it's not spreadable.
It's a reminder that perhaps I should open my CD cases occasionally
just to check what's going on inside tho.    Would TCP or Dettol or
something like that damage a CD if you gave it a quick bath and let it
dry thoroughly?   I don't think either of them attack plastic - but I
could be very wrong!     Any chemists on the list?

jill

ObMilleniumOddity> According to 'Harper's Bazaar' magazine, over ten
thousand virgins have taken out insurance policies against an unplanned
immaculate conception in 2000.   (Info from 'New Scientist', March)

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk