25 Years CD Rot

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 6 10:18:23 EDT 1999

In a message dated 4/6/99 8:58:13 AM, Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM writes:

<<Back to the disc rot thing - it's usually caused by the lacquer breaking
down, I'm given to understand, and it usually works in from the outside, so
the last tracks get affected first.  To begin with, the effect is a bit like
the pops and clicks you used to get on vinyl, but eventually it'll become
unplayable.  Not every disc in an affected pressing will necessarily fall
victim, but there's no way to cure an affected disc either.

so in addition to my old cassettes which are crumbling and video tapes
growing mold, i have THIS to look forward to. lovely.

"<>"
lb