OFF: Catching Up Fast

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Apr 7 15:23:29 EDT 1999

Now who the hell is It Bites?  KX have been compared to some people mostly
>Rush or Queen but I've never heard anybody compare them to that band.

>Well, they're not infinitely popular like Rush or Queen (the latter would
be
a particularly bad comparison IMHO, and Rush not so good either).  It Bites
OTOH is a close comparison I believe. And their drummer wasn't so hot
either.  :)

Ya, admittedly the comparisons to Rush and Queen are more prevalent with the
first four albums, all of which were produced by Sam Taylor.  Lots of vocal
harmonies (Queen) with  Rush's propensity for timing changes.  After the
band split with Taylor the rest of the catolog changed rather dramatically.
Some of which you point out about Jerry Gaskills playing is what this
drummer was telling me, few if anybody, plays drums the way Jerry does.

>Anyway, there were on Virgin (UK) and Geffen (US), so I consider them to be
*huge*.  :)  I saw them open for Jethro Tull, and went out and bought 'Eat
Me in St. Louis' (yeah, a title as stupid as the band's name).  They're all
from Cumbria, England, which is the far north where noone lives.  :)  They
put out three albums and an EP, but only that one here in the US.  They had
a couple famous producers, Steve Hillage and Mack (there's yer Queen
reference).  I guess 'Calling all the Heroes' was somewhat of a single, but
not over here.  They broke up around 1992, when Frank Dunnery went solo.  He
actually had a bit more success over here then, as I remember hearing his
first single "American Life in the Summertime" on the radio.  That album
(but for that decent pop single) was crap IMHO though, and I haven't picked
up any future releases.  He also was to be seen sharing the stage with one
Robert Plant as a 'hired gun' for a time.

Ok their still not ringing a bell at all, but I can probably say that about
a 100 European bands.  Some that I have heard in the last five years or so
have been quite good (Threshold, Pink Cream 69, Pretty Maids, Helloween
etc.,)  Guess obscure in USA or in Europe is still obscure.

Thanks for the info.

Ghost in the Ruins

NP - Gary Hoey: Hocus Pocus Live

Gov't Mule and friends - "Four guitars, two pianos, two drummers, a lone
loping bass and a wailing saxaphone riding high towards the span of the
Roxy's proscenium arch.  This circle of of virtuoso, anitheros and
provocateurs restored the Spirit to rock & roll through collective
dialogue." - Kandia Crazy Horse [2/1/99]