OFF: Metallica

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Apr 7 15:33:20 EDT 1999

>A buddy of mine (Crow from this list) made me a super compilation with a
bunch of Metallica and a pile of other stuff. Astronomy really is
excellent. It has a different feel than BOC, certainly heavier, and I
think it's a damn good cover. The only thing I don't like is that they
fade it out when it just seems to be gaining speed for a real end of
song jam. I agree on "Whiskey........" btw, they really did a decent job
with that one as well.

I've said many, many times in the past that I am not a big fan of Metallica.
Some of the stuff I had heard was OK, some downright good, but overall I
couldn't begin to imagine what all the hype was about.  Not sure when this
happened but 98Rock from Baltimore can now be heard where I live and thats a
least a 100 miles from B'more.  This is a good heavy rock station; they
refrian from alternative and give you a ton of classic and current heavy
music.  One of the things they do every hour is"mandatory Metallica".  No
Enter Sandman or Turn the Page, they play a lot of the classic stuff.
Listening to this blistering number the other day I thought "damn that kinda
sounds like Metallica but it really rocks and its so, so, so damned fast."
To my surprise it was, something from Master of Puppets I believe.

Huge difference in Metallica then and now.  I kinda like the "then".  Maybe
I'll reassess these guys by getting one of the older releases and then
Garage Inc as a comparison.  Anybody got a classic Metallica recommendation?

One other question, can anybody tell me the name of that new single by Rob
Zombie?  Sounds like an interesting mix of Metal and industrial, it sure has
a great beat.  Was midly surprised to hear that song as part of the
soundtrack to the Matrix.  Hey Rob may be a poser but I bet he gets big on
the dance circuit.

Thanks in advance.

Ghost in the Ruins

Gov't Mule and friends - "Four guitars, two pianos, two drummers, a lone
loping bass and a wailing saxaphone riding high towards the span of the
Roxy's proscenium arch.  This circle of of virtuoso, anitheros and
provocateurs restored the Spirit to rock & roll through collective
dialogue." - Kandia Crazy Horse [2/1/99]