OFF: Metallica

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Thu Apr 8 10:33:07 EDT 1999

>Metallica is like two bands in one. There's the "old" Metallica and the
"new" Metallica. I've found that most people (including myself) who like the
"old" Metallica do not care for the new stuff, and vice versa.

Shades of Savatage!  All the early stuff is balls to the walls metal, while
the recent stuff is more symphonic and progressive.  I heard the current
before the classic and like both.

>As far as classical "old" Metallica....anything before Enter Sandman is
good
(in other words, their first 4 albums -- Kill Em All, Ride the Lightening,
Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All). If you liked what you heard from
Master... then I'd definitely recommend picking that one up. You won't be
disappointed.

OK I'll admit when I first heard Enter Sandman I liked it, I really did.
Never heard much else off that album though.  The stuff 98 Rock been playing
seems to be all classic.  Speedy, heavy stuff that sounds quite good on
them.  MoP looks like a good place to start.

> Not sure when this happened but 98Rock from Baltimore can now be heard
where I live and thats a
>least a 100 miles from B'more.

>they must have had one heck of a format change... because when I left
Baltimore last year about all they were playing was "alternative".....
Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden... every hour almost like clock
work...heck I couldn't even get them to play King's X when they were
in town and the station was giving away tickets to the show!

I've spent a lot of time in the car lately and now have them pre-set.  You'd
be amazed.  For example this weekend I heard the Rob Zombie song three times
(early morning, mid-afternoon and early evening).  On each occassion they
followed up immediately with Pink Floyd songs.   They have a hairband block
on Saturday or Sunday night (forget which).  How much have they changed?
When's the last time you have heard Queensryche's Empire followed by Ted
Nugent's Wango Tango?  As for KX I don't know what the deal is with radio
stations, they will not play this band (nor Savatage BTW).  I bet an urban
format station will play King's X before a rock one.

>I like "Ride the Lightning" myself... but if you really want to get classic
I suppose I could pull out my copy of "No Life Til Leather"..... just
for the ol' Mustaine influence (and the bad lyrics on "Mechanix" and
"Jump In The Fire")

Mustaine? Mustaine?  Is he the guy that leads Megadeth?  Any live recordings
by these guys (Metallica)?

Thanks for the recommendations.

Ghost in the Ruins

Its classic BOC thursday...